We have been diligently working on refinishing the credenza all week and it is just about done (how about a woot woot for that?). I'll show you the finished project in a few days - it's drying right now (for 5 painful days) and I can't put anything on top of it yet, which means it isn't pretty. The problem though is that the whole project took more paint than we expected and we ran out before we could put a second coat on the inside of the credenza. I like the color we chose but I don't see us using it again anytime soon, so I really didn't want to go back to Benjamin Moore and buy another can of paint. But there was also no way that I could keep looking at the back of the cupboard with all its streaks. So strolling through the aisles of Wal-Mart a few nights ago we ran across Con-Tact paper and amazingly enough, they had some pretty cool patterns.
We picked up a roll for $6.99 and thought that maybe it would do the trick.
I started out just doing the shelf, still not convinced that it was going to look that great. I finished lining the shelf in about 2 minutes and it looked great. Since it was so easy I decided I should Con-Tact some more. What followed was the back of the cupboard, the bottom of each drawer...and then the sides of each drawer.
The back of the cupboard:
One of the drawers before:
This little project did come with it's challenges. The paper is super sticky so it does stick to itself, which can result in quite a bit of swearing and some deep breathing. It also wrinkled a bit inside the drawers because I either didn't cut it exactly straight, or I didn't lay it in exactly straight. I spent a while trying to get the wrinkles out and then decided that once stuff was back in the drawers you wouldn't even notice them. Thankfully the busy pattern I picked hides most of my mistakes.
What a transformation though in under an hour. I think once we paint our kitchen cabinets all of our drawers are going to have to be lined!
Stay tuned for the final version of the credenza in all it's Con-Tact paper glory!