When we left you last time we had acquired the pallets, beat the crap out of them, and sanded all of the boards. If you need a memory refresher you can read Part 1 here.
The boards were looking good after the sanding but they didn't have as much character as we hoped they would (they must have been 'gently' used pallets). To add a bit of depth we used old rags to rub Tunge Oil into each board.
Apparently I only snapped a shot of the French side of the tin! For those of you reading outside of Canada, most things here have both French and English on them and I picked the wrong side. Anyhow, it says Minwax Tunge Oil on the English side.
The oil did exactly what we wanted it to; it enriched the tone of the wood and made it look just a little bit more sophisticated.
Once all the boards were oiled we arranged them a bit like a jigsaw puzzle trying to find the boards that fit together the best and left the least amount of gaps. Gaps were inevitable as the boards are pretty knotty and warped, but we didn't want any gaping holes.
Once arranged we measured the total height and then used the saw to cut two more planks down to the right height to use as backing strips. Then Mr. Swell got to pull out his air nailer (he's totally obsessed with it and will use any excuse to pull it out) to nail the boards onto the two backing strips.
Then it was ready to make its way into the house and adorn our wall.
Update: 2 days after the pallet went up it feel down! Thankfully nothing broke, but the wall did get a bit banged up. It didn't have anything to do with our construction; it was the hanger that failed. The little gold nails that came with the hanger strip weren't strong enough to hold the pallet. We've added another strip and used some longer nails and all is now good.