In celebration of Mother's Day, here is a list of 10 things that I have learned since becoming a mother 10 short months ago.
1. Sleep is not overrated - it really is essential to functioning. When I wander around panicked that we've run out of powdered formula because I can't find it ANYWHERE, and then realize that I put it in the freezer - that's when I realize how important sleep is.
2. A 10 month old has a reach about 5 times longer than you think she does. If the ipad or my cell phone is what she's after then the reach becomes even longer. I swear she has Inspector Gadget arms and she uses them when I am not looking.
3. Having other new mom friends is essential to survival. Even better if they like to drink.
4. Waking up for the day at 5 am on a Saturday is not much fun, but at least it's a little bit better when your alarm clock is a baby laughing hysterically by herself in her crib.
5. Dog food is still my enemy #1 (read more on that here). It's even worse now that she can haul herself up on the dog dishes and can reach the disgusting slobbery water.
6. The smile when I come in the door at the end of the day can make any bad day turn right around.
7. Dreaming about Baby Max and Ruby and their grocery shopping adventures is really not cool.
Max is hungry. What's for lunch?
Let's buy carrots in a bunch.
Max, don't drop that on the floor
or we'll have eggs scrambled in the store.
I can keep going since I know the whole book by memory, but I'll save you the pain. Just trust me, you really don't want to dream about Max and Ruby.
8. Labour sucks. It really does. The baby at the end totally makes it worth it, but I still haven't forgot the pain.
9. My mother has a heart of gold. I knew this before, but seeing her with Fin makes me so happy. I can't wait to see how their relationship grows.
10. Letting your kid eat day-old dried up toast cubes and old Cheerios off of the kitchen floor is really not that big of a deal.
Happy Mother's Day to all of the mothers out there, but especially to my Mom. My Mom does so much for us and I am so thankful for all of her help. If you think we are a bit of a gong show family now, I can't even imagine what we'd be like without her. I am grateful that she is not only my Mom, but is also such a great friend.