8 Aug 2012

Curtain Call

Original title...I know.  I'll take title suggestions if you have any....after a long weekend of project upon project, it's all I have left.  The curtains are all hung now, and I am going to take a few days of break from the kitchen.  We've been going steady on kitchen projects for a few weeks and I need a mental kitchen break.  I'll be honest, I had a bit of freak out on the weekend that the kitchen wasn't turning out as I had envisioned.  Once the vintage car curtains went up, it all just felt a bit too country for my liking. I liked each piece individually, but together things weren't jiving.  It's hard to explain. I liked it....just not for me. I am not country. Vintage. Yes. A bit quirky sometimes. Yes. Country. No. We don't have a lot of natural wood in the rest of the house, and maybe I was just feeling a bit overwhelmed with the new table and the new side tables (you'll catch a glimpse of one of them below...the other one is just about ready for staining - they'll get their own post down the road).  In the end, I regrouped and I think I have a solution to de-country the kitchen (it involves more painting!). First world problem...I know.

Anyhow, let's look at the curtains, shall we?

As I have previously mentioned, I ordered the fabric from Tonic Living.  Since this is a budget revamp, I only ordered 3 yards of each, and then used half the width of the fabric for each panel.  They are skinnier than the average drapery panel, but they still work.  Luckily the salvage edge was well done, so I didn't even hem that edge.  I just hemmed the one side and the top and bottom using iron on hem tape.  I don't own a sewing machine, so the iron tape was an easy answer.

If you remember back to the dining area plan of attack, I did think at the beginning that I would do a roman shade on this window.  That was still the plan, right up until it came time to sew it (with my Mom's sewing machine).  The pattern was just too much for a roman shade and it was too busy for me. So, roman shade nixed and drapery panels instead.

I purposely made the dining area curtains a little shorter than I normally would.  I wanted to make sure that when drinks spill (which they do...and will continue to) that the curtains wouldn't be sitting in a puddle of milk (or red wine).

I also ordered 3 meters of coordinating avocado green fabric and made a set of curtains for the mud room.

The plan is to add a small stool or bench in front of the curtains so that when winter comes, the muddy boots don't touch the curtains.  I am sure they will still get dirty being so close to the doors, and for that exact reason I bought cotton twill that will be easy to wash and toss in t he dryer. 

Both rods are the same, and are from The Home Depot.  They are called Vintage Door Knob by Martha Stewart.  They were a bit of a splurge at $40 each, but I love them and really wanted something chunky, and these fit the bill perfectly.

 Here's how the kitchen and mudroom are looking today.

I still plan to do some sort of valance above the sink.  I had planned to use the vintage vehicle fabric, but I think I will live with these curtains for a while and see how I'm feeling in a few weeks.  Once I add a few more elements to de-country it, I might be more inclined to upholster the valance in cars.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Your comments make my day. Seriously, they make me do little dances of joy (usually in my office chair - so its a chair dance of joy). If your profile is connected to your email address then I will email you back, otherwise please check back for a reply.

Related Posts Plugin for WordPress, Blogger...
Pin It button on image hover