It's Pinterest Challenge time again! I feel like the last challenge was last week - where did the time go? I blame it on the fact that we had snow until a week ago, so the winter just started to all blend together. Thankfully late last week the snow FINALLY melted and spring arrived. Shorts, flip flops and sunscreen have made their way into our regular rotation now and I couldn't be happier.
Last spring I re-did a lamp from the Salvation Army that I dubbed my Mad Men lamp (Don Draper has one very similar in his office).
I do really like the lamp, but I always felt like it could use a little somethin' somethin'. It was a lot of jute, and it needed something to help it stand out a bit more from the brown wall behind it.
I had pinned a picture way back of a lamp shade that had fabric flowers added to it and I loved the idea. You can check out the original pin here and the post from Creatively Living here.
I thought of adding the flowers right after I wrapped the shade in jute, but decided to live with the plain jute for a while before I committed to any embellishments. But then fate intervened.
I have met some truly lovely and genuine people through blogging. One of those people is Jesse from Scout & Nimble. If you haven't read her blog before I highly recommend checking it out. She has awesome style and was even recently featured on Young House Love (which basically makes her a rock star...and is sort of funny too since YHL is hosting the Pinterest Challenge). Anyhow, about a month ago I was reading one of her posts about day bed cushions that she made. They were nice cushions, but what really got me was the throw cushions she had, which were made of the most beautiful dragon fabric. I commented and told her how nice those dragons were. And you know what she did? She mailed me some pieces of it! Actual mail. Love it. So nice of her.
Before the fabric even arrived I knew exactly what I was going to do with it. That pretty multicoloured fabric was going to make its way onto my Mad Men lamp.
I used Jesse's fabric, along with a small piece of lace and a bit of gold mesh (both of which I had laying around) to make 10 fabric rosettes. There are a million tutorials on the web on how to make rosettes, so I won't bore you with my process (you can Google it and learn how to make them in about 10 seconds). After about an hour I had a nice stack of flowers.
To give the flowers a bit more dimension I hot glued some old buttons onto a few of them. Super simple, but I like how it adds a bit of contrast. (sorry, apparently I forgot to take any pictures of the button process....just imagine hundreds of buttons laying on the floor while I tried to find the perfect ones, and then burning my fingers while hot gluing them onto the rosettes.)
I didn't want the rosettes to be permanent on the lamp shade, so I attached each rosette with a little piece of Command Strip. I just took 2 Command Strips, cut them into small pieces and then stuck one side on the flower and the other side to the jute. Worked perfectly, and I can take them off whenever I want without wrecking the shade.
It took me a bit of fanangaling to figure out the placement of each flower that I liked so that they had some flow and didn't just look like flower blobs stuck on the shade, but I think I finally got it.
It's cute, right?
But....are you wondering why it looks all cock-eyed? (ya, I bet you are...). The shade has always been slightly off-kilter, but adding the flowers made it really heavy on one side and the whole shade tipped forward.
As we say around our house, I pulled a total Farmer's Fix. I rummaged through my button box and found 2 ceramic knob-y things. I seriously have no idea what they are. (maybe a sewer out there can enlighten me??) They were inside my vintage sewing box when I bought it. I strung a bit of string through them and taped them inside the back of the lampshade to counterbalance the weight of the flowers.
I realize that it's sort of a tacky fix, but you can't see them at all and it totally does the trick.
I guess it's a bit quirky, but I just love how it turned out.
You can't tell that Jesse's fabric had dragons on it, but it does have such a great mix of colours that go perfectly with our living room. And I know that there are dragons hidden in there, which makes me smile every time I look at the lamp.
I couldn't stop taking pictures!
I realize that it might be strange to enjoy fabric rosettes this much!
By the way...my succulent in that pot has totally taken on a life of it's own. It's tiny spawn are all so scraggly and unruly....but I sort of like it that way!