I bought this credenza at a garage sale in our neighbourhood what feels like a million years ago. In actuality, it was about 2 months ago, but for me that's a long time to have a piece sitting in the garage waiting for its day in the sun.
I knew as soon as I saw it that I'd be able to make it look 100 times better. It was simple, classic and had some really nice molding to work with.
When I am out in the garage painting I tend to think about some pretty random stuff, and I usually spend quite a bit of time deciding on a name for that particular piece of furniture. This guy I am naming JT. I am loving Justin Timberlake's new song Suit & Tie, and to me, this piece reminds me of a classic suit and tie (that, plus the fact that I listened to that song probably 50 times over while painting!).
Meet JT now!
Meet JT now!
The credenza was laminate, so I started by using a deglosser to take off some of the shine. I use Liquid Sandpaper by Dynamic, which I buy at my local paint store. It's smelly, so make sure you have some breathing space when using it. Then I primed the whole thing with a coat of Zinsser 1-2-3 Bullseye primer using a brush and foam roller. I used white primer because that's what I had on hand. If I was buying primer new I probably would have had it tinted dark to save myself an extra coat of navy blue.
I let the primer dry for a night and then painted the navy blue, again using a brush and little foam roller. The blue is December Eve by Behr, but colour matched to Dulux interior eggshell. It's the same colour that we have in our master bedroom, so I had some left over. Because I was going over white primer, it took 3 coats of navy to get full coverage.
I painted inside the moulding Benjamin Moore White Dove. It's Benjamin Moore's Advance paint in the pearl finish, which we had left over from our kitchen cabinets (and a million other projects...). The white only took 2 coats as there was already white primer underneath.
Once both the navy blue and white had some time to cure, I then used a small artist's brush to apply liquid gold gilding. The gilding is Martha Stewart brand in Brass, that I picked up at Michael's, and is the same gilding I used on my emerald dresser. I used painter's tape to tape off some of the easier lines and then I just free handed the rest. I also painted the hinges, the original hardware and the very bottom of the front legs in the gilding.
I decided not to poly this piece because I really like the matte finish that the blue has right now. If it goes to a house (or stays with me!) where it's going to see a lot of abuse and action, then it would be best to apply a finishing coat.
I have a problem that I fall in love with every piece that I do. I think I need to start painting in colours that I don't like! JT is going to go up for sale and will hopefully find a nice home. I hope he is able to be used as a bit of a bar station, because I think that's what he's suited for (no pun intended....). If you are local to Edmonton and are interested in him please drop me a line.
I think this might be my last furniture redo for a while. I struggled to find the time to actually get JT done, and I hate having stuff just sitting in the garage. Maybe once fall rolls around I will have some more time and won't want to be outside playing as much. Now all I have to do is hold myself back at the garage sales throughout the summer!
If you love JT as much as I do (the credenza, not the man) I'd be really appreciative if you'd pin or share him.
Have a great weekend!
Linking to: Our Fifth House, Miss Mustard Seed