This is the story of how I attempted to de-ugly an ugly bathroom. Given all of the other expenses that we have going on in the house (hello....new windows....which could have bought us a small car instead...) the de-ugly the bathroom project had a very small budget. Ripping out the almond colored tub and the lovely almond molded sink isn't in the foreseeable future. Yes, we could have replaced the vanity top, or painted the tub, but it just didn't seem worth it since some day down the line (waaaay down the line), we will redo this bathroom.
So, here's how our main upstairs bathroom looked the day we moved in.
That accordion door thing made me have the heebie jeebies. I couldn't even imagine what might have been living in there, so it was very high on my priority list to kick it to the curb (literally).
I went all crazy on it one afternoon with my X-Acto knife and pulled off all of the caulking. After a bit of scrubbing and lots of Glue Gone (thanks Mom!), we were free of the grossness.
I painted the whole room (including the ceiling) in Benjamin Moore's Baby Fawn to match the rest of the main walls.
Here's how happy I was before I started the painting extravaganza (before cutting in the shower, cabinets, lights, ugly mirror, etc). Sorry it's out of focus....I work better when my eye is actually looking through the view finder.
And then do you remember this picture after I was 3 coats in?
(Also out of focus....that's how the bathroom made me feel.)
After the painting was complete, the next step was to do something about the floors. The old floor was linoleum that I don't think had been replaced since 1979 when the house was built. Since again this was a budget facelift, my answer to the linoleum issue was peel and stick vinyl tiles. I wish I had a better picture of the 'before floor', but you can see it in the first picture above.
I found some tiles on clearance at Rona, and they ended up only being $18 for a box of 45. They sort of remind me of tiles that would be in a school or a hospital, but I find them kind of retro and nostalgic. Plus, they have lots of coloured flecks in them, so it left the design possibilities wide open.
My Mom and I tackled the floor one afternoon and after a few hours we had a shiny new floor. The tiles were super easy to cut (just use a knife and snap), but somehow it still took us longer than we thought. I blame cutting around the curved bath and the toilet for the extra time. We used about 3/4 of the $18 box.
Although they aren't super fancy, the new tiles really make the whole space feel clean and fresh.
The other new addition was a shiny white throne. The old toilet had to go - I won't go into details, but it just HAD to go. I was insistent on a one piece toilet. We actually had this exact one in the basement of our old house and loved it. It is also from Rona (we picked it up during a 15% off day).
The one thing that made the biggest difference in the space was the new shower curtain.
We also added the blue bathmat which is from Ikea and a new towel bar from Ikea.
I love that it's double tiered so that the towels can actually have a chance to dry. I had hooks in our last bathroom and started to loathe them since the towels never dried and would sometimes start to smell.
So, that's where I am at today.
- painting the vanity
- dealing with the light fixture
- doing something with the ceiling (it will involve paint)
- baseboards and door trim
- change out the electrical (we are changing all of the light switches and plugs room by room).
Not a huge list, but enough to keep me busy for a while. I feel a bit scattered that I am doing the bathroom as one of the first 'rooms' in the house, but I feel like I need a bit of a sane space to get ready in every morning. Our Master Bathroom is a total gong show right now and I haven't even cleaned the tub, so for now we are all using this bathroom.
Have a great weekend. We are finishing up painting all of the doors in the hallway and I can't wait to show you....it looks fantastic if I do say so myself!